Through our combined 50 years of experience working with 20 HBCUs, the Texas Association of Developing Colleges, and the United Negro College Fund, we understand the constraints under which many HBCUs operate. And, we know their assets including strong relationships, successful alumni, and local and regional economic impact.
Importantly, we understand that the philanthropic marketplace and corporate donors require an emphasis on the future, not the past. We understand the concerns and interests of prospective donors and partners and help you focus on meeting their requirements as you reach your fundraising objectives. We build capacity.
A Little Bit of History
As vice president of marketing for the United Negro College Fund (UNCF), Mel Shaw created and produced the Lou Rawls Telethon, which has raised more than $500 million in annual gifts. He is nationally recognized for his work in creating and designing programs that combine marketing and fundraising and increase revenue and alumni/volunteer engagement for HBCUs.
Our strategies and approaches draw directly from this deep experience:
- We look at more than what your college or university needs — we also examine what prospective donors and funders want from a partnership with your institution.
- We help you communicate powerfully your unique position in the educational marketplace.
- We know how to engage diverse leadership in supporting HBCUs and how to develop mutually beneficial partnerships with businesses and corporations.
- We help our clients build their fundraising capacity and infrastructure using existing staff where possible.
- We orient board members and trustees to their roles and responsibilities in the area of fundraising. We work closely with presidents.
- We listen and we coach. We don’t believe in limitations.
HBCUs and affiliates we have worked with include:
- Allen University, Columbia, SC
- Bennett College for Women, Greensboro, NC
- Bowie State University, Bowie, MD
- Central State University, Wilberforce, OH
- Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, LA, CA
- Dillard University, New Orleans, LA
- Elizabeth City State University, NC
- Fisk University, Nashville, TN
- Huston-Tillotson University, Austin, TX
- Jarvis Christian College, Hawkins, TX
- Lane College, Jackson, TN
- LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis, TN
- North Carolina A&T University, Greensboro, NC
- Paine College, Augusta, GA
- Philander Smith College, Little Rock, AR
- Shorter College, Little Rock, AR
- South Carolina State University, Orangeburg
- Tennessee State University Foundation, Nashville
- Texas Association of Developing College
- UNCF National Alumni Council & National Pre-Alumni Council
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
- University of Arkansas Pine Bluff Alumni Association
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- University of the Virgin Islands, U.S.